Meet our graduate Deirdra Flaherty
Deirdra Flaherty started Scandi Standards’ Graduate Program 2020 as an Operations Graduate.
Tell us a little about yourself:
– I’m 23 years old from Cork, Ireland. I have studied Pharmaceutical Biotechnology. I have a keen interest in science, quality and lean principles, which I learnt more about during my course. I love to travel in my spare time and during my studies I got the opportunity to participate in the Erasmus Program where I worked in a research laboratory in Dijon, France.
Why did you apply for the graduate program?
– I wanted the opportunity to develop myself as a leader and I think this graduate program is the best way to do that. The training, mentoring and opportunity to travel and rotate through the organisation that is offered is an amazing way to develop the skills and knowledge needed to succeed as a good leader.
What kind of projects have you been involved in at Scandi Standard?
– During my first rotation as an operations graduate my main tasks were completing daily and weekly operation reporting for many different KPIs and optimization of machinery in production. I am currently in my second rotation as a quality graduate in Finland. My projects here so far have included a 5S implementation project, microbiological sampling reporting and the introduction of new online systems such as iAuditor and Centuri for internal quality documentation control.
What have you learned?
– I have learnt many new things about the poultry industry that I didn’t know before starting this program. It has been very interesting learning about how complex food production can be. Being able to work across different departments in different countries has taught me the importance of communication and organization when completing complex projects in large teams.
What are your thoughts regarding your journey ahead at Scandi?
– I have really enjoyed my second rotation as a quality graduate and because of this positive experience, I will continue my third rotation in quality. I am looking forward to continuing my journey within quality and learning as much as I can from my supportive team around me. After getting the chance to work in the quality department, it has helped me realize what area I would like to continue my future career in.